Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ninja Balloons

I was attacked last night.

Don't worry, I will be ok. My attacker and the weapon, not so much.

Monday evening Ryker sounded like he was getting a cold and by Tuesday afternoon he sounded like an 80 year old man running a marathon. I got him to the doc's quickly who took one listen to his chest and started a nebulizer treatment, a dose of steroids and antibiotics and ordered a chest X-ray for the following morning. Pneumonia... randomly and rapidly.

Tuesday night was a rough one - Ken and I took shifts, but it was impossible to sleep watching your baby's ribs suck in with every breath. He was restless and thrashing and never slept for more than 30 minutes at a time. Wednesday morning we were back at the doc's for the X-ray and another round of meds.

By Wednesday night, the hubs and I were walking zombies. Ryker only napped for brief intervals and life still goes on when you have other kids. The girls didn't take too kindly to the idea of Popsicles for dinner (thats all Ryker would eat) so I still had to feed them and get them to cheer practice. It was exhausting!

So it was almost midnight last night... Ryker was wide awake and running around like a Tasmania devil. His nebulizer meds made him jittery and unable to rest... and as I would soon find out, the steroids made him raging mad.

I was standing in front of the fridge, absent-mindedly pouring another cup of juice to add to the collection Ryker already had dispersed about the house. Ryker innocently walked up to me with the "Get Well" balloons his Nana had left him... and then the 'roid rage overcame him.

Bam.... bam... pow.... pow... gotchu.... pow... bam.... die.... pow.... bam....

In a wild fit like I had never seen, Ryker pummeled me with his balloons like they were deadly ninjas. I tried to recover from the sudden shock of Mylar beating against me to escape his wrath. When I finally freed myself and told him to stop... he did... took a deep breath and said, "I go get my gun."

Lord help me... and thank you for giving me the foresight not to fill his water gun when he asked me to yesterday!

1 comment:

Casey said...

I really enjoyed reading your post. I am new to the blogoshpere and stumbled upon your blog. I am excited to read the blogof someone so close to home. I have 2 boys, so I can totally relate to the mayhem you are describing. And while they aren't affecting by "roids" they do get raging mad and I often have to escape the wrath of toy guns.